Weaving Pizza Trays
Term: 1 Year: 2007
Setting up a loom
- Cut slits around the edge of a pizza tray, approximately 3cm apart.
- Attach the end of a ball of wool to the back of the pizza tray and wind around the tray, going from one slit to the
slit at the opposite end.
- Gently pull to tighten as each warp is formed.
- Continue this procedure until all the warps are formed, ensuring that they are taut.
- Secure the end of the wool to the back of the tray.
- When the weaving process was introduced, the children were asked to consider the colour combinations they would like
- A large variety of threads was made available to the children including roving yarn, feathers, ostrich, metallic thread
and nylon raffia.
- Emphasis was placed on the elements of colour, tone and texture.
- Some children also added coloured beads to their weaving for extra decoration.
- Completing the wall hanging – Children need to weave to the outer circular edge of the flat base section of the pizza
- Cut off tabs around the perimeter of the tray where the slits were cut.
- Children chose how they would like to finish off their wall hangings-spun/plaited hanging threads, sticks, tassels
LEVELS 1 & 2
Croydon North Primary School