Term: 4 Year: 2007
- The students were familiar with percussion instrument through our music program and choir before we began.
- Each group then looked at the history of percussion instruments through different cultures, natural materials
used, their construction, decoration and use.
- They were allowed to make and decorate in any style as long as there was a sound that could be repeated.
- Year 3-4 made maracas in Term 2 using papier mache over a balloon.
- These were used in the music room and also for their topic about heritage and migration.
- Year 6 used recycled materials from home and Reverse Art Truck to build their instruments.
- The brief was to create sounds at least two different ways – banging, scraping, striking, shaking, twisting
- The drums have a skin made from a thick rubber glove or household gloves and the sound is excellent if stretched
tightly (which is difficult to do).
- These were also used successfully in the music program.
Eltham East Primary School