Yarra River Mural
Term: 4 Year: 2006
The 4 Grade 3/4 children had been looking at the environment surrounding the Yarra River, the habitats of the wildlife
and the unique landscape features.
- Each grade was responsible for building up part of the background.
- This was done by weaving sections of colour according to the landscape: the river itself, the river estuary
where it becomes Port Phillip Bay, the reeds and grass alongside the river and the sky on a fine to cloudy day.
- We used a variety of textured materials on a cardboard weaving frame.
- The pieces were glued on to a large canvas board.
- The children made their animals out of felt, using a range of stitches to join and decorate the fabric. Some
of the children made the wind-surfers out on the glistening water of the Bay.
Hawthorn West Primary School