Term: 4 Year: 2006
Wood, Wire and Paper
The Students will use a variety of tools, techniques and processes to explore the potential of wire, wood and paper.
CONSTRUCTION LEVEL 4
For Students to:
- Plan, select, manipulate and combine materials and tools using a range of skills and problem solving techniques
with wood, paper, wire and other media.
- Utilise Thinking Curriculum-VELS: group work, HABITS OF THE MIND(posters)
- Present to an audience-Arts Festival (August 2006)
- Build an awareness of the principles and elements of design (form, composition, shapes, texture).
- Materials: Cover paper, Supertac glue, and other mixed media for decoration.
- Rule A4 cover paper into strips that have been measured accurately.
- Roll strips into cylinders.
- Cut slots into the end of cylinders and join together.
- Mount on card and decorate by cutting paper with fancy scissors and attaching other media.
Wire and Paper Fish-”Fish from the Yarra”
- Inspiration: Fish displayed on the Yarra River for the Commonwealth Games.
- Materials: Newspaper, masking tape, tissue paper, PVA glue mixed with water (milk consistency), various types
of wires and mixed media for decoration.
- Manipulate, twist, shape newspaper into the shape of a fish utilising masking tape to hold newspaper together.
- Cover with torn tissue paper, which has been spread with watered down PVA. Allow drying for a week.
- Wind and bind armature wire around the fish and then attach or twist other pieces of different wires to the
- Decorate with other materials.
WOOD WORKS LEVEL 4
Woodwork-”Abstract Timer Geometric Sculpture
- Inspiration: The Vault” (The Yellow Peril) and Heide Sculpture Park
- Materials: Pine (Reverse Garbage-Ringwood), nails, Vipond Paint, wire and other media for decoration.
- Cut pieces of timer to different sizes and join together using PVA glue and nails.
- Texture the timber using a rasp, sand paper or hammering.
- Paint the abstract sculpture in one colour.
- Add other found materials to create interesting features and points of view. (Wire, wool,foam, lids etc) Utilise
tacky glue, nails or hot glue to attach these materials.
Suitable for Level 4
Rita Di Grazia and Miro Graystone
Strathmore Primary School