Intuitive Composition: Painting From Process
with Kirsty Budge
Session Times Available: SOLD OUT!
Students will embark upon creating a painting through an intuitive, open-ended process.
This activity is intended to both combat the ‘block’ that some students can encounter when trying to begin an artwork, and to show more confident students a way of generating a picture that draws upon process and open-ended exploration of materials and techniques, rather than preconceived composition.
In this session, participantswill:
- Make artworks inspired by methods and ideas explored in Kirsty Budge’s practice.
- Build-up an original painterly composition by using a step-by-step process of addition and subtraction to reach a final, fully realised composition
- Learn to work with a combination of ink, acrylic paints and natural charcoal, building up layers in a process of mixed media composition.
- Explore the potential of open-ended, additive and subtractive exploration in composing 2D artworks.
- Learn new art-specific vocabulary within the process of painting.
- Identify and explore ways to use different painterly techniques in intuitive, accumulative painting processes.
About the Presenter
Kirsty Budge is a New Zealand-born, Melbourne-based artist. Herwork vacillates between abstraction and figuration. Her psychologically charged paintings are populated with humour, humans, hopes and horrors. The works connect personal experiences, thought patterns, observations and environments through intuitive processes.
Kirsty has a Bachelor of Fine Arts (Painting) from the Victorian College of the Arts, where she was recipient of the 2014 Stirling Collective Award for Painting. Kirsty has exhibited widely throughout Australia, and her work is in the Artbank Collection and private collections in Australia.
Kirsty also runs Good At Art, a series of children’s after-school art classes for Prep to Year 6.
HOW TO BOOK
This workshop is only available as part of the Nurturing Creativity Conference on Monday 17th September, 2018.
Once booked, you will be contacted to submit your morning and afternoon breakaway workshop session preferences.